01 Sep Omega – 3 Essential Fatty Acids – Fish Oils For Kids Health
Omega-3 fatty acids are a crucial component of a healthy diet. These essential fats are especially important for children, as they play a key role in growth and development and are associated with numerous health benefits. Since EFAs cannot be made in the body, they must be ingested daily, through diet and supplementation.
However, many parents are unsure whether omega-3 supplements are necessary — or even safe — for their children.
How can omega-3 essential fatty acids help your child?
- ✅ EFA levels are often low in children who experience changes in mood and other mood related conditions. It has been shown that those with these conditions often feel better when they take omega-3 EFAs.
- ✅ EFAs are vital for maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system, healthy blood pressure, peripheral circulation and helping to protect against long-term disease.
- ✅ EFAs are important for enhancing memory, learning and brain development from infancy, and throughout adult life.
- ✅ EFAs ensure healthy brain and nervous system development in the developing foetus, as well as ongoing nutritional support for the mother during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- ✅ Dry skin, hair and nails are a sign of omega-3 essential fatty acid deficiency.
- ✅ EFAs ensure that every single cell in your body is healthy and happy. With a flexible cell membrane, cells are able to receive vital nutrients, such as oxygen, and eliminate waste products effectively
Childhood conditions EFA’s will benefit
Many studies suggest that omega-3 supplements offer several benefits for children.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common condition linked to symptoms like hyperactivity, impulsiveness, and difficulty focusing.
Some research indicates that omega-3 supplements may help decrease ADHD symptoms in children.
A review of 16 studies revealed that omega-3 fatty acids improved memory, attention, learning, impulsivity, and hyperactivity, all of which are often affected by ADHD.
A 16-week study in 79 boys showed that taking 1,300 mg of omega-3s daily improved attention in those with and without ADHD.
Asthma is a chronic condition that affects children and adults, causing symptoms including breathing difficulties, coughing, and wheezing.
Some studies have found that omega-3 fatty acid supplements help to relieve these symptoms.
For instance, a 10-month study in 29 children noted that taking a fish oils containing 120 mg of combined DHA and EPA daily helped decrease symptoms of asthma.
Enhances Children’s brain health
Emerging research indicates that omega-3 fatty acids may improve brain function and mood in children — in particular, learning, memory, and brain development.
In a 6-month study, 183 children who ate a spread high in omega-3 fatty acids experienced improved verbal learning ability and memory.
Furthermore, several studies suggest that omega-3 fats help prevent depression and mood disorders in children.
Why should you insist on quality fish oil?
A high quality fish oil means it is clean, concentrated and fresh to give you and your family the best health outcomes. When purchasing fish oil capsules or a liquid formula, look for cold-pressed varieties for the best results.
Brisbane Child Naturopath | Children’s Naturopath Brisbane
Adelaide Child Naturopath | Children’s Naturopath Adelaide
Sydney Child Naturopath | Children’s Naturopath Sydney
Perth Child Naturopath | Children’s Naturopath Perth
Kids Nutritionist | Children’s Nutritionist | Baby Nutritionist