04 Jan Refrigerator Makeover For Healthy Kids
Washing and storing food properly is essential to maintaining the nutrient quality and longevity of food. If food is stored properly, it remains fresher for longer. This prevents you having to throw away food unnecessarily, which may be kinder to your budget.
Now could be the perfect time to do an audit of your fridge and pantry, clearing out any unhealthy or out of date items. When you go to your fridge or pantry, what do you see?
Follow these refrigerator makeover tips to support healthy kids
- ✅. Are all the packaged or bottled items in date and sealed properly?
- ✅. Are your organic vegetables stored in the crisper after being washed? Washing fruit and vegetables before consumption is essential to remove potential toxic residues that may be resting on the surface for non-organic foods.
- ✅. Store fresh produce in the crisper to prevent it wilting; wrapping in unbleached paper towels or a clean cloth may help absorb extra water.
- ✅. Don’t pack your refrigerator to the brim. Leave some breathing room to allow the air to circulate.
- ✅. If fruit and vegetables have started to deteriorate, you are best to discard the whole item, rather than simply removing the affected part.
- ✅. Are there left-overs that have been left a little too long? Avoid eating these leftovers, as they are more likely to be contaminated.
- ✅. Avoid storing food in plastic containers or polystyrene containers and covering food with plastic wrap. Instead opt for non-porous storage options such as glassware, ceramic or stainless steel. Use a plate to cover food if needed, instead of plastic wrap.
- ✅. Keep spices, onions, potatoes and oils stored in a cool dark place to prevent spoilage.
- ✅. Thawing is most safely done in the refrigerator in a sealed package.
- ✅. Freeze foods using glass or enamel containers, butcher’s paper, parchment, foil or number 4 freezer bags for freezing. Make sure hot food has cooled before placing it in storage bags.
FIONA STOCK | THE CHILDREN’S NATUROPATH | MELBOURNE NATUROPATH
MAKE A NATURAL THERAPIES APPOINTMENT TODAY
To make an appointment with Fiona Stock, naturopath in Melbourne, Contact email@example.com. I’m here to assist you and your child on your journey to better children’s health.
Online Learning | Healthy Kids | Children’s Health Class
Would you like a consultation with me at a fraction of the cost? My online learning classes are jam packed with more advice than I provide in a face-to-face appointment. It’s evidence-based naturopathic wisdom coupled with the latest scientific research on kids health I’ve successfully shared with clients over my 20+ year career.
I’ve also included cheatsheets, checklists, nourishing recipes and 25 page book of class notes.
You will learn:
- ✅ Understand the cause if common childhood conditions (eczema, poor immunity, food allergies, food intolerances, poor focus & concentration, ADHD, behavioural problems).
- ✅. Supporting immune function to help support allergic conditions.
- ✅. Support optimal brain function.
- ✅. Healthy Eating Plan – including portion size for each age-group.
- ✅. Natural medicine recommendations,
- ✅. Plus much more…