31 Oct Healthy Children’s School Snacks
After a long day away from home the afternoon snack is very important because this meal will tide them over to dinner time. They are usually starving when they get home and their blood sugars can be low too, especially if they haven’t eaten enough protein with lunch or been too busy playing and not eaten at all. This can be a danger zone when it comes to processed food because they will be craving sugary snacks. The best idea is to get some protein into them to fill them up quickly.
After school tips
- ✅. Check their lunchbox to make sure they ate their lunch. If they haven’t ask them why. If they don’t like their lunch they probably won’t eat it.
- ✅. If they have after school activities such as tennis or netball practice then make sure you have packed them a favourite snack to eat before their activity. This will give them the energy to do well at their after school activity and they won’t be at the point of collapse when they get home.
- ✅. If you are not going straight home after school pick up, pack a snack for them to have in the car, this helps to avoid the bakery highly refined chocolate muffin they will want. You will enjoy missing the tantrum after the muffin too.
- ✅. Don’t let them eat too much, it takes their brain about 20 minutes to realise it has eaten enough and they might not want dinner.
- ✅. On the other hand if they are ravenous, say after playing physically active sport, give them an early dinner at around 4.00pm and they can have a snack with the family at dinner time.
- ✅. Keep cut up carrots and celery in the fridge ready to scoop up yummy dip.
- ✅. Most schools are nut free, if your child is not allergic include nuts in after school snacks.
Healthy Kids Snack ideas
- ✅. Fill celery sticks with dips or good quality peanut butter or other varieties of nut butter.
- ✅. Finely slice apple and good quality cheese to make cheese sandwiches.
- ✅. Always have a bowl with fresh seasonal fruit on the bench top.
- ✅. If they don’t like fruit, have a little bowl of cherry tomatoes on the bench. They are sweet and pop in your mouth.
- ✅. Have a good selection of their favourite raw unsalted nuts.
- ✅. Use coconut oil for popping corn to give a coconut flavour.
- ✅. For a different variation to cup up fruit, sprinkle coconut over the fruit to enhance the flavour.