16 Jan How To Transition Away From Fruit Juice & Fizzy Drinks
It can be surprising to find out how much sugar is hidden in some of the popular beverages kids love to drink. And we mistakenly think these drinks are a nutritious choice for our children to enjoy.
How to work out how much sugar is in your child’s favourite drink
A good way to determine how much sugar is in your child’s favourite drink is to look at the nutritional panel.
4 grams of sugar is equivalent to 1 teaspoon.
Examples of Sugar Content in popular drinks
Each one of the samples listed below contains up to 8 teaspoons of sugar:
- ✅ Soda/soft drinks
- ✅ Flavoured milk
- ✅ Commercial fruit juice
- ✅ Sports drinks
How to wean your child off sugary drinks
Fizzy drinks and fruit juice are highly addictive and some children will experience a tough time in the early stages when they are removed. Depending on their level of addiction and how many they drink, withdrawal symptoms can vary from tantrums to headaches and mood changes.
- ✅ If your child’s diet is high in sugary drinks, the best way to wean them off is to start gradually diluting the fizzy drink or juice. In this transition period, make home-made ‘fanta’ or ‘lemonade’ by mixing 4 parts of sparkling mineral water with 1 part fresh juice or soda/soft drink.
- ✅ Use a soda stream to make fizzy water at home.
- ✅ Freshly squeezed juice is a better option to commercial fruit juice. In the case of orange juice a limit of 1 orange per serve is all they need; put the pulp back into the juice and dilute it with water.
- ✅ Juice vegetables such as carrots, celery, cucumber and beetroot because vegies contain very little sugar. Alternatively, you can blend them to retain the beneficial fibre.
- ✅ For ‘sweetness’, can add fruit such as an apple, pineapple or orange.
- ✅ Keep in mind that eating whole fruit is much healthier than drinking juice. Smoothies can be frozen to make popsicles too, a real crowd pleaser.
FIONA STOCK | PAEDIATRIC NATUROPATH & CHILDREN’S NUTRITIONIST
Are you struggling to manage a childhood health condition? Fiona is skilled at getting to the heart of childhood health challenges, helping to initiate lasting change so your child can thrive.
What Childhood conditions can Naturopathy treat?
Naturopathy is well-suited to supporting your child through many common childhood health concerns, as well as with more complex conditions that might come up from time to time.
Naturopath’s successfully treat the following childhood conditions:
- ✅ Digestive complaints – constipation, loose stools, pain or bloating, infections
- ✅ Sleep – trouble falling or staying asleep at night
- ✅ Mood – anxiety or mood swings
- ✅ Picky eaters
- ✅ Skin issues – rashes, allergic reactions, eczema, acne
- ✅ Allergies or allergic conditions like asthma or hayfever
- ✅ Food allergies or intolerances
- ✅ Compromised immunity – recurring colds or ear infections
- ✅ Behavioural challenges
- ✅ Focus and concentration issues
- ✅ Energy – chronic fatigue, low energy
- ✅ Growth and development
- ✅ Hormonal imbalances – thyroid conditions or menstrual cycle support
Meet Fiona Stock
FIONA IS SKILLED AT GETTING TO THE HEART OF CHILDHOOD HEALTH CHALLENGES – HELPING TO INITIATE LASTING CHANGE.
Fiona Stock is a respected Paediatric Naturopath & Children’s Nutritionist with a career spanning over 23 years. Armed with an abundance of experience and a true desire to transform your child’s health, she’ll listen closely to understand the underlying causes of their troubling condition.
Fiona gets to the heart of your child’s presenting symptoms by deciphering what their body is trying to tell you. She will suggest simple and specific changes as well as herbal or nutritional medicine where required to nurture and restore your child, so they can enjoy the good health they deserve.
Deeply compassionate and highly skilled, either of the Naturopathic Consultation Options with Fiona is a wonderful investment in your child’s health.
If you’ve tried everything and are yet to find solutions to your child’s health challenges – this could well be the path to take.
Fiona treats the following conditions:
At The Children’s Naturopath, Fiona Stock an expert in children’s health, understands these needs and finds working with kids and teens to be an absolute joy. She finds that children typically respond to naturopathic treatment very well – bouncing back to good health in no time, and she treasures the opportunity she has to teach kids about their bodies and engage them in their health journey, setting them up with strong foundations and knowledge for life.
✅Poor Focus & Concentration
✅ Behavioural Problems
✅ Food Allergies
✅ Food Intolerances
✅ Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
✅ Tummy Pain
✅ Auto-Immune Disease
✅ Recurring Infections
✅ Fussy Eaters
✅ Sleep Issues
✅ Plus many more…
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TODAY here