12 Jun Fermented Carrot Sticks
Fermented veggies such as these delicious slightly sweet carrots sticks contain all the goodness friendly bacteria has to offer. These yummy carrots are easy to make and perfect to serve on their own or as a snack paired with hummus, guacamole or other yummy dip.
Fermented food supports healthy children’s immune system and brain function
The benefits of consuming fermented food to health stretch beyond food preservation. The transformation of sugars and starches enhances the natural, beneficial bacteria in food. These. bacteria, called probiotics or friendly bacteria help to boost your child’s overall wellbeing including their gut health, immune system and brain function.
- 4 medium sized carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- Filtered water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Finely grated zest from 1 orange
- 1⁄4 cup coconut water kefir or starter culture* Cabbage leaves
- Place the carrots, cinnamon, orange zest and coconut kefir in a sterilised 1 litre jar. Add the filtered water so the carrots are completely covered by the liquid, leaving 3-4 cm of room at the top of the jar.
- To weigh down the carrots so they stay completely submerged and don’t float to the top and go mouldy, use a glass weight or fold a cabbage leaf and place over the carrots.
- Seal the jar with the lid and leave to sit at room temperature for 3 days, before transferring to the refrigerator where they are ready to enjoy as a healthy snack.
- When the jar is opened ,the carrots can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 months.
* Purchase Water kefir starter cultures online or at a health food store.
Healthy Child Tip: Adding kefir fast tracks the fermenting process because you are adding additional bacteria. This takes the numbers of friendly bacteria to another level of goodness to help ferment the veggies quickly.
FIONA STOCK | THE CHILDREN’S NATUROPATH
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WITH FIONA STOCK – A TRUSTED MELBOURNE NATUROPATH
To make a natural therapies appointment with Fiona Stock, paediatric naturopath in Melbourne, Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a consultation at her health and wellness clinic to assist you and your child on the journey to better children’s health.
Children’s Health Class | Healthy Kids | Healthy Children
Every mother’s desire is for their child to be the healthiest and happiest version of themselves possible. This Masterclass will help you achieve this goal by providing a treasure trove of valuable information founded on naturopathic principles coupled with the latest scientific research.This Masterclass will benefit your child if they are suffering from an illness you are having trouble managing or you wish to defend your child from developing a condition in the first place.