25 May 4 Ways to Treat Diarrhoea Naturally
If your child experiences diarrhoea on a regular basis, they are not absorbing the vitamins and minerals they need in order to thrive.
Diarrhoea is the frequent passing watery poop and can be associated with other symptoms such as cramping, nausea and vomiting. Acute diarrhoea will resolve itself and generally pass in a day or two. On the other hand, long term diarrhoea can be dangerous for young children because they become dehydrated very quickly, meaning they are losing fluids more rapidly than they are being replaced. It is extremely important to keep up their fluids and watch them carefully as their condition can deteriorate quickly. Water on its own may not be enough and electrolytes can quickly re-hydrate them.
Weekly Diarrhoea can be a Symptom of Food Intolerance
If diarrhoea is a regular occurrence, say one or more times a week, fill out our Food and Symptom Diary (check out our free resources section for a copy) to record if there is a relationship between the episodes of diarrhoea and eating a particular food. If the gut registers a certain food as an irritant, it can signal to rush water into its tube to wash the offending food through quickly so it doesn’t aggravate the gut wall. However, if diarrhoea persists and is not caused by a food intolerance, seek advice from your health practitioner immediately to investigate if a digestive infection is the cause.
What to do
- Give probiotics to restore the friendly bacteria living in the gut. These will especially be beneficial if the diarrhoea is caused by bad bacteria.
- Feed your child fermented food such as coconut water kefir or cultured veggies, these are helpful in reducing many forms of digestive upset.
- If your child is experiencing skin irritation or nappy rash because of constant nappy changes, be very gently when cleaning them. Let their skin air dry and apply a moisture barrier such as coconut oil or zinc oxide to help protect their skin.
- If diarrhoea continues after a few days, be on the safe side and call your doctor to rule out other health problems and make sure they aren’t suffering from an intestinal infection.
Signs & Symptoms of Diarrhoea
- Frequent and loose, watery poop
- Abdominal discomfort, cramping and/or pain
- Flatulence and/or bloating
- Vomiting and/or nausea
- Increased thirst
- Failure thrive
Causes of Diarrhoea
- Exposure to infected persons and/or animals
- Food intolerances e.g. dairy and gluten
- Emotional disturbance and/or stress
- Overseas travel or camping
FIONA STOCK | THE CHILDREN’S NATUROPATH
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WITH FIONA STOCK – A TRUSTED MELBOURNE NATUROPATH
To make a natural therapies appointment with Fiona Stock, paediatric naturopath in Melbourne, Email email@example.com to book a consultation at her health and wellness clinic to assist you and your child on the journey to better children’s health.
Children’s Health Course
Every mother’s desire is for their child to be the healthiest and happiest version of themselves possible. This Masterclass will help you achieve this goal by providing a treasure trove of valuable information founded on naturopathic principles coupled with the latest scientific research.This Masterclass will benefit your child if they are suffering from an illness you are having trouble managing or you wish to defend your child from developing a condition in the first place.