05 Mar Children’s Nutritionist Approved – Almond Milk Recipe
Almond milk is an excellent alternative to cow’s milk especially if your child has a sensitivity or allergy to dairy products. Unsweetened varieties are naturally low in calories and sugar but it is also low in protein – an important macronutrient required for childhood development. Almond milk is a top-selling plant based milk because of its rich flavour and texture, it’s naturally high in vitamin E, a disease fighting antioxidant and store-bought varieties can be fortified with vitamin D.
Processed almond milk may contain additives
Processed almond milk can contain additives including, sugar, salt, gums, flavours and emulsifiers (lecithin and carrageenan). The emulsifiers are commonly used for texture and consistency and while deemed safe may interfere with gut health. If you prefer to purchase your almond milk, look for unsweetened varieties and if possible without gums and emulsifiers.
Almond Milk is easy to make at home
Almond milk is naturally dairy-free and lactose-free because it is made from filtered almonds and water to create a product that looks like milk. Most people purchase it remade, but It’s easy to make at home. It’s made by grinding almonds and mixing them with water and then filtering the mixture to create a product that looks like milk and has a delicious nutty flavour.
1 cup (160gm) blanched almonds
2 cups (500ml) water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ✅ Place almonds in a large bowl with enough water to cover them. Leave for 4 hours or overnight before draining and rinsing under cold water.
- ✅ Place the almonds and water in a high-speed blender and pulse for 1 – 2 minutes until the water is cloudy and the almonds are finely ground.
- ✅ Pour the mixture through a mesh strainer lined with fine cloth (cheesecloth or nut milk bag) into a a large bowl, pressing down to extract as much liquid as possible. Place the milk into a glass serving container and store in the refrigeratory for 4 to 5 days.
- ✅ Keep the blended strained nuts and they can sprinkled over breakfast cereal or added to casseroles or curries.
FIONA STOCK | THE CHILDREN’S NATUROPATH | MELBOURNE NATUROPATH
MAKE A NATURAL THERAPIES APPOINTMENT TODAY
To make an appointment with Fiona Stock, naturopath in Melbourne, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m here to assist you and your child on your journey to better children’s health.
Online Learning | Children’s Health | Melbourne Naturopath
Would you like a consultation with me at a fraction of the cost? My online learning classes are jam packed with more advice than I provide in a face-to-face appointment. It’s evidence-based naturopathic wisdom coupled with the latest scientific research on kids health I’ve successfully shared with clients over my 20+ year career.
I’ve also included cheatsheets, checklists, nourishing recipes and 25 page book of class notes.
You will learn:
- ✅ Understand the cause if common childhood conditions (eczema, poor immunity, food allergies, food intolerances, poor focus & concentration, ADHD, behavioural problems).
- ✅. Supporting immune function to help support allergic conditions.
- ✅. Support optimal brain function.
- ✅. Healthy Eating Plan – including portion size for each age-group.
- ✅. Natural medicine recommendations,
- ✅. Plus much more…
Fiona Stock is a Naturopath Melbourne depends on. Fiona focusses on natural therapies for children’s health.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.